Took some pictures of the Engine bay and the underside of the car while the sun was up yesterday.
Please excuse the drive shafts appearance, haven’t gotten around to making it rad yet.
Also started working on the ‘Engine Room’ harness. Found that I could eliminate the entire ‘Relay Box’ by moving the ACC relay to the main fuse box. Cool.
Also going to be running my fan wiring through the OEM harness as well, current plan is to re-purpose the brown AC relay to drive the fans and pick up power from two (now) open fusible links.
Sunday I started late, been really exhausted lately, but still got some stuff done.
So, spent a pretty significant part of Friday night and Saturday afternoon wrapping up the harness work as it was the last thing keeping me from putting the motor in the car. Here are some pictures, it’s by no means the best, but I’m okay with it.
There are a few spots that I’d redo given the chance, and I did manage to mess up a coil pack connector along the way, no biggie. Here’s one of the better shots of it installed. Most of the harness lives under the manifold so it’s no readily visible when installed.
Motor as it sat on Saturday night, more or less ready to go into the car.
Motor is more or less ready to go into the car, will probably do that on Saturday.
Finally got my PS inlet welded, will be nice to run a dash 10 line right to it.
Made this cool lower water neck adapter.
Also made some heater core pipes to attempt to make that work and stuff.
Motor and Trans.
Worked on the motor until about midnight last night, made some progress, apologies for picture quality.
Shot I took in progress to text to my brother.
Random engine bay shot.
Transmission with shifter housing. (Bubble wrap is to prevent the shifter from impaling me.)
Horribly blurry shot of the fuel rail/intake manifold.
Motor as it sat before I went to bed.
Need to install the Alternator, PS Pump, BOV and some other random stuff, but otherwise it’s pretty much back together.
Spent the last few weeks staying busy, cleaning up the engine bay and a variety of parts. These are only shots of a handful of things since I periodically decide not to take pictures.
Also put in way to much work cleaning the R154.
Then I found out that the bushings in the shifter housing were shot… So I 3D printed some new ones from ‘Ultem’ (higher strength plastic than most 3D printers)
I spent a bunch of time breaking down the original motor as well, removing any parts that I wanted to reuse on it’s replacement. Last thing I removed was the oil pan, and I found something interesting inside.
The oil pickup on the original motor had been blocked at some point between Fall of 2010 and now, which is strange because the oil pan was brand new in 2010… Oh, and the paper that was blocking the pickup had japanese writing on it… Dafuq.
And I got a new motor.
Since the motor’s out, I figured it’d be as good as a time as any to start cleaning up the wiring harness. Basically just cleaning and degreasing the connectors, and re-looming and rerouting some stuff, it’s pretty fun.
Better Picture of the Damage to #1 Piston, it’s done.
Finally pulled the block out, so much easier to do without the trans being connected.
Sweet Head Damage, Chipped Exhaust Valve and the heat casting is trashed.
Got a spare of just about everything now though.
Removed everything from the engine bay, and stripped any rusted areas down to bare metal. Took a while, but was definitely worth it.
Still have some more cleaning and stuff to do, along with some other bay prep, but I’m hoping to have another motor ordered/bought next week. Let’s see what happens.
Parked hard with some friends over the weekend.
Real update coming soon, for now, picture.